Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Monday Afternoon

Very bright sunshine yesterday and I thought I'd give my woodland water drip that we set up in Brian's yard a go as it's out of the harsh light. On arrival up there he said that he'd had a Kentucky  at his waterfall. As I need Kentucky I set up the blind at the waterfall instead. It was a long afternoon, a long slow afternoon then whamo!

I photographed a Chipping Sparrow at 1:05pm, a Chipmunk at 2:26pm, a Blue Jay at 3:07pm. The soothing sound from the waterfall, the heat and the lack of birds made me very sleepy. The only thing keeping me awake was the loud bangs from his redneck neighbors about 1/2 mile away. Who lets off fireworks in the middle of a hot sunny afternoon?  All afternoon. Anyway that all changed very quickly. At 3:15pm a Warbler flew in, a Tennessee, I had just been shooting the Blue Jay and my focus point was way off where it should have been so I missed a couple of potential shots before he dived into the water behind a rock and splashed away out of sight. Then at 3:17 a flash of yellow and Canada Warbler flew in for a bath. I managed a few shots when at 3:18:01 another steak of yellow and white and Chestnut-sided Warbler flew in to the lower part of the waterfall and splashed away to his hearts content. While photographing him at 3:18:51 a red flash and a Scarlet Tanager flew in and liked the bathing conditions and proceeded to take the plunge. Finally at 3:26 a female Scarlet Tanager flew in for a bath. To say that I was now fully awake would be a huge understatement. Unfortunately I had to pack up and leave at 3:45 so I probably missed a Kentucky! Maybe.

Chipmunk
Blue Jay
Tennessee Warbler
Canada Warbler
Canada Warbler
Chestnut-side Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Scarlet Tanager
Scarlet Tanager

No comments:

Post a Comment