Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Hectic afternoon.

I got set up in the blind just after 2pm and soon there were 5 Blue Jays, 3 Common Grackles, a Red-winged Black and 2 Starlings all having a good old splash about in the 77F degree heat.  Not exactly what I had in mind. I forgot to mention the Robins hurtling about crashing into the blind on a couple of occasions. After saying the Red-bellied Woodpeckers never come down to the waterfall one of the females did a couple of times, even a Flicker. Then it happened. Yay! A Black and White Warbler showed up to my left. My favorite warbler I think. I got a few quick shots of him but he was spooked by the unruly bathers. Shortly afterwards I heard a Baltimore Oriole call and he turned up in the tree above the waterfall, he too didn't fancy getting water splashed in his face by the rowdy Blue Jays. The Black and White Warbler returned once the waterfall bathing area quietened down and gave me quite a show. There were several White-throated and Chipping Sparrows and the Red-winged Blackbird returned for a second bath and then proceeded to preen on the old vine showing his red wing patch.  As my attention was on him, I missed the Ovenbird flying in until he was smack dab I front of me. What a lovely bird, you'd hardly recognize him as a warbler from his pose at first. I think this is the first I've managed to photograph in the yard. A fleeting visit from a Myrtle Warbler who only showed me his back and it was time to head inside. Tomorrow is going to be great!

Baltimore Oriole
Black and White Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Common Grackle


Ovenbird
Ovenbird
Ovenbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-winged Blackbird

No comments:

Post a Comment