Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Dilemma

As the title says, I have a bit of a dilemma. On my covered front porch I have a bird box in which assorted birds roost during the cold winter nights. I also have a Mason Bee house, a little box with loads of tubes that the little Mason Bees lays their eggs in to hatch into even littler Mason Bees. Well we now have new occupants of the bird box. Humungous Hornets, must be 1 1/2 " long. Some websites say they're aggressive, another one says they're not. Both agree that a sting from a hornet is to be avoided as they inject the most venom of any stinging insect apparently. What do I do about the new arrivals? Mmmmmm. The Buddhist in me thinks live and let live. My self preservation instinct and aversion to pain says call the Bug Exterminator. Apparently Hornets can kill a bee colony very quickly and as I'm very fond of bee's and do as much as I can to attract them  I'm leaning towards exterminate, annihilate, eradicate as the Daleks used to say. (I grew up with Dr Who, OK).

Mason Bee House

Yeah I know it needs dusting

Bird Roosting Box

I'm not going near this with a duster.

Hornet

Hornet

Do you think it looks friendly?





No comments:

Post a Comment