Sunday, June 30, 2019

The Quest for the Red Kite

After failing miserably to get a decent photo of a Red Kite I asked at Rutland Water where I might see some in a place I could stop and photograph one. Fineshade or Seaton Viaduct were suggested so after lunch in Stamford that's where I headed. Fineshade was very different from what I remember and there was nothing in the way of Red Kites. So off to the Viaduct I went. Along the way cross country I came across this nice bridge over the River Welland just outside of the village of Wakerley so I stopped and took a few photographs.

We used to visit the Viaduct in the winter years ago as there was usually a flock of Golden Plover in the meadows. It's now been turned into a nature reserve called Seaton Meadows. The viaduct is still being used to this day. I'm sure I once went across it in the 80's or early 90's on a journey from Peterborough to Leicester via Melton Mowbray. I did get a few shots of a Buzzard and Red Kite but as the light was abysmal they are not very good.Eye Brook reservoir was my next stop. This was the place to go birdwatching in the 70's and early 80's until Rutland Water took over and seemed to attract more birds.

River Welland at Wakerley

River Welland at Wakerley. I wonder who the head belonged to?


River Welland at Wakerley.


Viaduct Information

Seaton Meadows

Welland Railway/Harringworth/Seaton Viaduct



The Eye Brook from the bridge.

One of my favorite places to view the reservoir in the 70's.



No comments:

Post a Comment