Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Tale of Two Squirrels

In my yard I've only ever seen Grey Squirrels and would love to see a Red Squirrel but don't think thats going to happen. Apparently we have Flying Squirrels though I've never seen one as they are nocturnal. Instead I'll have to make do with the hordes of Grey Squirrels that eat all my bird seed. Destructive little bastards, they are too. They love eating the bird feeders to get at more food. They have been evicted from the roof on two occasions where they gained access by chewing through the siding.  Quite a costly ethnic cleansing was required to totally evict them.

As you can see from the picture they eat anything, including blossoms.

Grey Squirrel in evening sunlight

The Red Squirrel was a resident in the yard of the cottage we rented on the Maine coast. I used a nice bit of technology to get this shot. I used a device called a Triggertrap. I connected the trigger trap cable between my iPhone and the camera which was mounted on a tripod prefocussed on the spot where the squirrel used to feed. I then linked my iPhone and iPad wirelessly and went and sat inside overlooking the yard. Simple. Squirrel came out I triggered the shutter release from iPad which told the iPhone to tell the camera to take a picture. I love it when a plan comes together.

Red Squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment