Monday, August 21, 2023

Third time lucky.

The juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron has been around for a couple of weeks now and on the two previous occasions that I popped over to the pond I missed seeing it. To be fair it always was in the middle of the day and being a Night-Heron it wasn't too surprising.  This afternoon on my way over to Middle Creek I decided to have another shot at it, figuratively speaking of course. When I pulled up at the pond the first thing I saw was a hulking great Cooper's Hawk and I hoped it hadn't had Night-heron for lunch. Not too far away though stood the Yellow-crowned oblivious to the evil looking Cooper's. 

juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron


I failed miserably with locating the Limpkin at Middle Creek but did manage a juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron for comparison.
juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron on the Middle Creek Dam

1 comment: