Sunday, August 13, 2023

Nasty but nice.

Despite a thunderstorm booming right overhead at some unearthly hour I was up and about at 2:45am  and out the door on my way by 3am. I stopped just down the lane away from the trees for five minutes and saw 4 of the Perseid meteors which was nice. The temperature at that time was already 73F (22.7C) with a low lying mist along the lane from the thunderstorm rain. A nice quiet low volume traffic drive down to Bombay Hook and I got there at 5:45am. Sunrise was 6:13am so I was in place where I wanted to be in plenty of time. Damn! It was a steamy though, 85F (29.4C) and even in the dark the nasty biting flies were active. My lens instantly fogged up due to the humidity but I managed to keep it clear while I was photographing. In the end I had to turn off the A/C to stop the windows from misting up. I was slowly driving around with the windows open which of course attracted all the flies. Lots of bug spray helped a little. The tide was almost in and the majority of shorebirds and egrets were distant and as the sun rose so did the heat haze which doesn't help with a long lens. I left Bombay Hook quite early to drive to a nearby retention pond to see the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks. I knew I should have brought the 500mm. From there I took a trip South to Port Mahon but by this time it was 90F (32.2C) and very harsh bright light with lots of heat haze so although I took a few shots I headed home. All in all a nice early morning out.


Photo's mostly in alphabetical order.
Nearly Sunrise
Just after sunrise
Halberd-leaved Rosemallow

(according to the Seek App on my iPhone)
Black-bellied Whistling Duck
Black-bellied Whistling Duck
Blue Grosbeak
Assorted Egrets
Curious Fox
Forster's Terns
Great Egret
young Green Heron
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Swamp Rosemallow

(again according to the Seek App)

No comments:

Post a Comment