Saturday, November 26, 2022

A Squabble of Starlings.

 Collectively more than one Starling constitutes a ‘Squabble’, individually they are a pretty impressive bird in my opinion. They’re a nice shape, discrete iridescent coloring and lovely markings, I like a single.  More than one however is a pain in the ass,  squabbling over food, perches you name it. A murmuration on the other hand is a sight to behold. The last really big one I saw was at Marazion in Cornwall in the late 90’s as many thousands were getting ready to roost for the evening. 

A few different species today, the light was all over the place as the low sun would be obscured by the now leafless trees shading the feeders then emerging and it was too bright. Oh well.

My  Merlin Sound ID was detecting both Carolina Chickadee and Black-capped Chickadee. Who knows what they were, probably all hybrids🙄. I took my best guess  with the naming.

Starling
American Goldfinch
Black-capped Chickadee
Chickadee
Chickadee
Chickadee
Dark-eyed Junco
Dark-eyed Junco
House Finch
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch

No comments:

Post a Comment