Saturday, July 18, 2020

2 1/4 Square

In the early to mid 70's the camera that most of the professionals used was a Hasselblad 2 1/4 Square (more or less 60mm x 60mm) which compared to the much more common 35mm film allowed much bigger prints to be made of far better quality. I wanted one of course. I couldn't afford one as they were extremely expensive. In 1978 I was walking down a street in Masan on the South Coast of South Korea and I came across a shop that had a Hasselblad in the window. This was totally out of place for such a wonderful looking camera. I came so close to buying it, oh so close. I didn't. In hindsight it was the best thing as they are a bit finicky to say the least. Fast forward to the mid 2010's and you could pick up 35-40 year old Hasselblad's quite cheap. Digital has overwhelmed the old film camera's and film is expensive, developing is expensive and you have to wait a couple of weeks to see if the shot you just took is any good or not, no instant gratification using film. Only 12 shots per roll of film so it's not for everyone. I did succumb and bought one. I don't use it as much as I thought but I have 4 rolls of film sitting in the fridge to be developed when I get around to sending them off. I send the rolls off to a lab in California and they send back the negative  but also scan them to 2048 x 2048 pixels which is not bad, you can scan them on much more expensive equipment but the cost goes up astronomically. Here's a couple from a couple of years ago.


Pumpkin

Indiantown Run

No comments:

Post a Comment