Friday, July 11, 2014

Ft. Indiantown Gap Butterfly Walk Part Deux

Friday. July 11th was the 3rd of the Butterfly walks for 2014. Leaving early I wanted to try and get some misty morning pictures of Memorial Lake. No such luck, the sun had burned off the mist by the time I got there. On the way I came across this Box Turtle crossing the road so it was time for a turtle rescue. I took some photographs of him and put him safely into the wooded area in the direction he was heading.

Box Turtle

The overflow stream from the dam at Memorial Lake looked cool and green and shady so I took a few pictures of that and missed the little Green Heron fishing under the bridge.

Overflow Stream at Memorial Lake

In one of the meadows at Memorial Lake I stopped and took a few pictures of the grasses and flowers.

Chicory



The FTIG Biologists were helpful as always and I got to handle a Ring Necked Snake. What a beautiful green and yellow coloring.

Ring Necked Snake

So onto the butterflies. There seemed to be many more Regal Fritillaries this week compared to the Great Spangled Fritillaries of last Saturday.

Regal Fritillary on Thistle



Regal Fritillary on Butterfly Milkweed.


Special thanks to Mason for finding this Zebra Swallowtail for me to photograph.

Zebra Swallowtail



Zebra Swallowtail


Zebra Swallowtail



Orange Sulphur



All in all an excellent morning out in the sunshine up at the Gap. My thanks to all the biology staff and volunteers that make these annual Butterfly walks possible, not forgetting the PA National Guard of course.








No comments:

Post a Comment