Wednesday, April 13, 2022

1st session at the waterfall this year.

Monday morning it was 31F today it reached 80F, my body has not yet got used to such heat. It was rather warm in the blind and it's a good job I was wearing my Icebreaker underpants that's all I'm saying. There was nothing exciting but it was great to finally sit there and watch the birds come in to drink or bath. We've been working on enlarging it when the weather permitted and now I can say categorically that it's a 6 Robin sized waterfall. There were 6 socially distant Robins all bathing at the same time and as they're all joisting for territory it was pretty good to see them bathe without an attack from any of them.

American Goldfinch

soon be in full breeding plumage
American Robin
American Robin
Common Grackle
Common Grackle
Northern Cardinal
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Song Sparrow


I've been using an iPhone app called Merlin to identify birds by sound. You just select Sound ID and it listens for birds and tell you what it's found. It's pretty damn good but it does make a mistake occasionally. It's been telling me for weeks that it's hearing Cedar Waxwing in the yard. I've looked but have not been able to see one. Last night I found them. I've seen them on and off in the yard over the years but very rarely at the waterfall. Heres one from last night.
Cedar Waxwing

No comments:

Post a Comment