Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Bombay Hook NWR and Port Mahon Fishing Pier

I needed to smell a bit of salty air as I do occasionally. There were some nice birds being reported from Bombay Hook NWR and as it's an hour closer than the NJ coast at only 2 and bit hours Delaware was my destination. It was a misty start when I left at 6am and made it to Bombay Hook just before 8:30, Siri was great navigator. The bity flies weren't nearly as bad as the last trip but I still got nailed a few times by evil bastards. The light was pretty good all day with a slight hazy overcast which reduced the harsh lighting a lot. I was shooting at 1/6500's for some of the day which was nice. Heres a selection of the birds I saw during the day.

Bobolink

I once waited for hours up at the airport on St Mary's for this Bobolink that popped up out of this walled weedy garden for about 5 seconds every 2 hours. I think it took about 3 days to get a glimpse of it. I was really dedicated in those days.


Forsters Tern
Mississippi Kite

This young Mississippi Kite was not at all bothered by us, it just sat there looking down at us from the wire  towards the end of the Port Mahon road on the Delaware Bay.
Mississippi Kite
Mississippi Kite
Osprey

This young Osprey was doing a splendid job cleaning up the Bay and collecting the bits of plastic off the water.
Osprey
Osprey

Momma Osprey was keeping a beady eye on her offspring.


Roseate Spoonbill and Great Blue Heron

One of 4 Roseate Spoonbills from the Daly Overlook at Bombay Hook.

Roseate Spoonbill
Roseate Spoonbill and Blue-winged Teal
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper

 

No comments:

Post a Comment