Thursday, October 11, 2018

The Sea, Ocean, Pond whatever..... Day 1

I needed to smell the sea air so I took myself off for a couple of days out to Cape May. I left at 5am on Tuesday and missed the worst of the Philadelphia early morning traffic. I initially headed out to the Seawatch at Avalon. Huge flights of Cormorants, lots of Black and Surf Scoter, a few Gannets and Royal and Caspian Terns. 

Surf Scoter

When I reached Cape May I drove along Beach Avenue to find the Skimmers and Terns on the beach.  I found several mixed groups, got my feet wet from walking too close to the incoming waves.

Royal Tern

Royal Tern

Forsters Tern

Juvenile Black Skimmer

Skimmers and Laughing Gulls

Very hard to get a Skimmer on it's own to get an isolated shot. I didn't want to disturb them so screw it, here's a group shot.

After an hour or so I headed down to the Cape May Lighthouse and the Hawkwatch Platform.

It was a lot hotter than the forecasted 72f, that combined with the dew point made it feel like the 90's. Made me wish I had worn shorts and not jeans.

Loads of Peregrines coming through, they had 111 for the day. Merlin, Kestrel, Bald Eagle, Broadwings, Red-tails, Harrier's pretty much everything except for Red-shouldered. I went for a walk along the trails to get out of the sun and ran into a flock of Turkey.


Mockingbird

Turkey's
A final walk along the beach at dusk and I took a shot of the lighthouse in the distance.

Cape May Lighthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment