Friday, May 13, 2022

Milkweed Time.

Monarch butterflies need Milkweeds as they're the host plant to lay their eggs. The caterpillars eat the leaves which contain a sap type stuff which is nasty to birds so they don't tend to eat the caterpillars. Milkweeds are vital and there's a lady nearby that grows loads of them from seed and sells them for $1 each  in mid May.

Milkweeds4Monarchs

Yesterday I popped over and bought a load as well as some more Mexican Sunflowers which last year grew to over 8 feet high and bloomed all summer with large orange flowers which the butterflies loved. So today I'm planting as many as I can before it rains.

Its overcast, drizzly and rain on the way so I doubt if I'll be doing much photography today. Here's some from Wednesday afternoon. 

American Redstart
American Redstart
Baltimore Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
Common Yellowthroat
Common Yellowthroat
Common Yellowthroat

No comments:

Post a Comment