Friday, February 11, 2022

Where I Wanted to Be. Mike does the Jersey Shore Part 1.

Left the house quietly at 5AM and headed East along the PA Turnpike to NJ. I started off at Barnegat Lighthouse State Park then at lunch I drove a little ways South to Brigantine. I was dressed for the forecast weather, chilly temperatures with a 10-20 mph wind which by the sea would have been pretty cold. Yeah right, I was cooking. The wind was way less in the morning than the forecast predicted. The wind did get up in the afternoon but by then the temperature was 57F. 

Here's some of the 2800+ photographs I took during the day. Some are from Barnegat, some from Brigantine.


I walked out along the nice concrete walkway to the jetty and this hulking Great Black-backed was posing for me.

Great Black-backed Gull

I dropped down to the beach and walked along the sand looking for Sparrows and Buntings but didn't find any.

Once I got further along the jetty I clambered up the rocks and found a nice place to sit and wait for the birds to pass by.

A few of the several hundred Long-tailed Ducks

There were Sanderlings, Ruddy Turnstones and Purple Sandpipers working along the rocks feeding on stuff exposed during the low tide. Sitting quietly they were often too close to even focus my 500mm lens.

Ruddy Turnstone

Ruddy Turnstone

Sanderling
Sanderling


Often a mixed flock would fly past.

Sanderling, Purple Sandpiper and Harlequin Ducks

Purple Sandpiper

Purple Sandpiper

I'm splitting this up as it's going to be huge otherwise. Don't miss the next thrilling episode of Mike Does the Jersey Shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment